We’ve all heard it in commercials for skin care products, cosmetics, and hair care…”pH balanced”, But what does it mean!!??
pH = potential hydrogen which is:
A measure of acidity or alkalinity of a solution. A pH of 7 represents the neutral point (so that means the pH scale is from 0-14) where the solution is neither acidic nor alkaline… we want our skin to be at about 6.5
Confused yet??? Read on…
Above is the pH Scale compared with substances in both the acidic and alkaline levels. We clearly do not want our skin (our anything else for that matter) being too acidic or too alkaline
- Too many alphahydroxy (AHAs) and glycoic acids
- Low pH products
- Alkaline producing diet
Skin can look dull and dehydrated and it loses it’s natural protection abilities which can lead to skin damage, infection, irritation, aging, and, AHHHHH, BREAKOUTS!
- Harsh detergent soaps
- Soaps that contain surfactants
Skin will become dehydrated and dry. Other problems, that can occur, include: dermatitis, rosacea and eczema.
Tips to maintain a healthy skin pH level
- Moisture, Moisture, Moisture! If your skin is mostly dry, try using a heavier moisturizer or oil
- Hydration…drink plenty of water and throw in some lemon or lime slices to make the water a bit more alkaline (if you’re more on the acidic side internally)
- No soda!!! Limited sweets!!! Too much soda and sweets= over acidic and also speeds up the aging process
- Limit your skin’s water exposure. Pools have lots of drying chemicals and even our shower water has who knows what in it. Try getting a water filter for your shower head
- Change your diet… Stay away from too much of anything, of course, but mostly processed and refined foods like frozen foods, fast food, white flour, sugar, alcohol, and meat
Try to eat more alkaline foods like fresh fruits and veggies. Lemon, avocado, almonds, watermelon, and even parsley are on the top of the list…
If you are now questioning your products, GOOD!!! Go to your local drug store and purchase a pH testing kit. Super easy to use and your skin problems may be solved!!!